This post is common questions I have been asked since I started comedy. While some of these may seem simple keep in mind that to most people stand up or any form of comedy is not a well know process or profession.
- Do you write your own material? Yes, if you don’t you either bought it or you are a joke thief. If you are the latter your career will be short.
- Do you do anyone else’s jokes? No that’s theft and a good way to get banned, booed or beat up.
- Are you scared? Yes, EVERY SINGLE TIME. that being aid fear is a great motivator. I am nauseous all the way until I pick up the mic. At open mic only a bit, but at a real show with a paying audience I want to perform like it is my Def Jam HBO Netflix Comedy Central Sold Out Arena Comedy Special. (Yes I am well aware that the above combo does not exist but if it did I would love to do it.)
- How long have you been doing stand up? This always varies but as of right now, my actual time performing on stage and writing jokes is about 10 Months. Which in comedy time is like being a toddler, so not that long, which does not help with gigs or with other comedians. Being the Rookie is good and bad. Good as in no one expects you to be good at stand up, yet. Bad as in if you are good, then some people take it as a personal slight against them. Like anything some people progress faster than others.
- Do you know XYZ comedian? Most likely we do not know big comedians when we are starting out. If you were an actor first or you did improv then you might know someone semi or pretty famous. Most likely you will meet big named comedians in passing. However they most likely will not remember you, so I have met a few big name people but I am sure they have no clue who I am. Or do you Tom?